Garlic has an endless amount of uses from medicinal to cooking delicious meals. Why should we grow garlic? Garlic has been used to treat many ailments or diseases because it is considered to have an anti-bacterial and anti-viral effect. It is one of the most natural antibiotics available.
The allicin that can be found in garlic is known to cure the infections fast. Garlic contains potassium, calcium, magnesium, vitamins c, d, b and essential oils.
Growing garlic indoors is easy and cost effective. It is one of the easiest vegetable to grow indoors, and you can do it all year round. Anyone can learn how to grow garlic indoors.
If you don’t have space in your garden or anywhere outdoors, you can grow garlic bulbs in your windowsill. If you live in the city or urban area and you have a patio, you can just bring your pots of garlic outside in order to get some sunshine.
The Easy Way of Growing Garlic
The method to grow garlic is kind of different. This time you will have to use the actual clove of garlic to produce a bulb. Remember that growing garlic bulb takes a lot of patience. It may take several months before you can harvest your own garlic, depending on the type of garlic you are going to plant, because there are varieties of them out there.
The good thing about growing garlic indoors is that you don’t have to wait for any season to raise it, you can do whatever time of the year you want.
- Selecting the Pot – those who want to grow more than one bulb, you might want to choose a larger pot to accommodate bulbs planting 4 inches apart and should be away from the sides of the pot.
- Choosing a Garlic Bulb Suitable for Planting – you might want to choose a bulb that you can get from your local farmers market, the one that is organic and has no any chemicals use while growing, and not from the grocery stores. Not all garlic bulbs are suitable for planting indoors.
- Best Soil to Use – fill your pot with potting soil, mix it up with sand with the ratio of 1:3, three parts soil and 1 part sand. Mix them up very well.
- Plant the Garlic Bulb – this is the most important part of the process, be sure to separate the cloves with your hand. The flat end of the clove (one clove at a time) needs to be facing down, the pointed one should be facing upward. Make sure the peel of the clove is still intact as much as possible, but in case that the skin splits, it’s fine, but remember that removing the skin will slow down the growth process. Each clove has to be planted at least 4 inches deep in the soil, cover well with the soil.
- Sunlight – similar with any other plants, garlic plant needs proper and sufficient sunlight in order for them to grow. The best place for the garlic plant to grow is wherever there is at least 6 to 8 hours of sunshine in any part of your house or window. Some people use artificial lights using the indoor lights, just hang it over the plants.
- Care for your Garlic Plant – watering the plant is very important. When you water the plant, make sure you drain the water well that comes out from the holes of the pot.
You will see some sprouts very soon, with green shoots popping out from the soil, then flowers will come out. Clip the green shoots from the base when it comes out, that will make the bulb grow bigger and healthier. These clippings you will get can be use for garnshings with your food or any recipes.
Garlic Fights Diseases
It was proven that most of garlic’s health benefits are due to the sulfur compounds formed when you chopped, crushed or chew the garlic clove.
This sulfur compounds travel throughout your body, passing through your digestive tract, and that is where potent effect of it takes place.
It is best to swallow garlic with water if you want to take them raw, to avoid bad breath, or a burning sensation in the mouth or stomach. In some cases, it can cause heartburn, gas, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
Garlic is very nutritious and has only few calories. Just 1 ounce of garlic will give you:
It also contains some amounts of potassium, calcium, copper, iron, and vitamin B1.
- We all know that garlic supplements or even raw garlic boosts the immune systems. It helps fight the common colds and flu
- Taking or eating garlic around 10 mg, appears to really improve high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Improves cholesterol levels by about 10-15%, so it may lower your risk of heart disease
- It may detoxify heavy metals in your body. The sulfur compounds in garlic have been shown to protect the body organs from any damage from heavy metal toxicity
If You Want To Live Healthy, Plant and Use Garlic
Garlic can be easily included in your diet, plus it is delicious and healthy. It compliments any dishes, soups, sauces and a lot of your recipe at home. I never ran out of garlic at home.
It is one of most expensive vegetables/herb among the produce in the market, that’s why it is best to have your own garlic plant at home ready whenever you need for any of your recipes. I think this is the most enjoyable way to do, especially for garlic lovers.